FEFISOL fund (Fonds Européen de Financement Solidaire pour l’Afrique) was set up on July 12th, 2011 at the initiative of SIDI/France to leverage additional funds to increase the supply of financial services in developing regions of Africa. It is registered as a Specialised Investment Fund (SIF) in Luxembourg under the legal form of a “Société d’Investissement à Capital Variable” (SICAV).

Apart from SIDI, FEFISOL main shareholders are the European Investment Bank (EIB), FISEA (French Development Agency/PROPARCO), Norwegian Microfinance Initiative (NMI), the BOAD (West African Bank for Development), ALTERFIN / Belgium, ETIMOS / Italy.

SIDI was set up in 1983 as a private company limited by shares, on the initiative of the Catholic Committee against Hunger and for Development (CCFD). SIDI is the Investment Adviser and the Manager of FEFISOL.

FEFISOL is entirely dedicated to the African continent and benefits from the in-depth knowledge of SIDI in this region. At least 75% of FEFISOL portfolio is to be invested in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Indian Ocean. The remaining 25% will be invested in North Africa.

FEFISOL investment strategy is to support African organisations with high social and environmental added value and with a strong focus on rural and underserved areas. To do so FEFISOL finance Microfinance institutions but also producers’ organisations and rural SMEs those are selling on fair trade and organic markets.

FEFISOL positions itself as a knowledgeable investor, with a medium term time frame, giving priority to the institutional strengthening of its partners and the economic development of their beneficiaries.

At end of 2015, FEFISOL has invested EUR 24 million in 50 organisations in 21 countries.